It was a pretty good year for me. Some of the highlights included:
- An AG win at the Re-Fridge-Eighter 8K road race in Waterloo;
- A top 10 AG finish and sub 2 hour (gold medal) finish at the Around the Bay 30K road race in Hamilton;
- An AG win at the Hamburger Hill 7 mile road race here in New Hamburg;
- An AG win at Victoria's Duathlon in Waterloo;
- An AG win at the Woodstock triathlon;
- 2nd place in my AG at the inaugural Ironman Mont Tremblant 70.3;
- 3rd place in my AG at the inaugural Ironman Mont Tremblant (15th overall) and my first ever Kona slot secured!;
- And finally, my first ever Kona, Ironman World Championship appearance
None of this came without a lot of training and commitment to the sport. Without the support of my awesome wife Deanna, I'm sure none of this would have been possible. She's been awesome!
The summary below shows the rather immense amount of training that goes into all three sports. In addition, the focus on strength training throughout the year goes a long way to keeping me "mostly" healthy and injury free.
2013 is going to be a different year for me I believe, as I am planning on working with NRG coach, Wolfgang Guembel as I work towards another Kona slot at Ironman Arizona in November 2013. I very much look forward to this!
Here's how 2012 played out. I am happy to say that I had volume and distance improvements across all 3 disciplines compared to 2011.